Bills Books

The Grim Company

The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1) - Luke Scull

In my "in progress" review of The Grim Company that I wrote on Goodreads I said:

"It's pretty fast paced and has some fun and interesting characters; though I honestly have trouble caring about one of the main characters; he's too shallow to be believable.

I like the magic system and am curious about the history of the world that the magelords don't want to think about."

My opinion really didn't change as I finished the book.  The style of the book is very similar to an Abercrombie tale; fun, violent, fast paced, and containing a tough grizzled veteran.  In fact one of the primary characters reminds me quite a bit of Logan Ninefingers from Abercrombie's works - except this guy has all of his fingers.

This was one of the fastest reading books I've picked up in a while.  The language is all pretty concise and it was satisfying to hit such major plot points all within one novel as opposed to the trend of most modern fantasy to wind out of control into seven or eight volumes.   In fact, so much happens in this book I imagine the next two in the trilogy will be incredibly exciting.  I look forward to more of Scull's work

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany